Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Seriously Satisfying Snacks

Well today I got home from work with the intention of doing laundry and cleaning my house. Instead, I threw a load of laundry in and fell asleep at 6 pm. I woke up at 2 am, wide awake with a hungry tummy. I didn't want a full meal because it's 2 am (not that I have and resemblance of a normal sleep schedule), but I'm watching the Food Network and catching up on my fellow food bloggers for the week, so I couldn't ignore my hunger. I decided this was the perfect opportunity for a new post! So I'm compiling a list of my favorite healthy snacks. Here it is :)

A perfect snack is about 200 calories. Enough to hold you over without tying you down. So keep that in mind when you are portioning your munchies.

Salty Snacks
Popcorn (currently munching on) - I make my own, rather than buying the microwave kind. I try not to use the microwave anyway, but microwave popcorn has some nasty chemicals to make it pop in that little bag. Plus, popping your own kernels is cheaper, and you can make it healthier. Without all the added butter, oil and salt, it can be a really low calorie treat. Just heat a teaspoon of oil in a large pan with a lid. Rinse and drain your kernels, and add enough to cover the bottom of the pan in a single layer. Keep the lid on and turn the heat to high. Shake the pan every minute or so while the popcorn begins to pop. When it stops popping, turn the heat off and add your favorite flavors. I add parsley, cayenne, black pepper, and a little seasoning salt.

Toasted chickpeas - A toasty, tasty, crunchy, protein packed little snack. Either rinse and drain a can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans) or soak dried beans overnight in water. Toss with a tsp of oil and whatever flavors you like. Spread your beans over a cookie sheet and roast in the oven at 400 degrees for about 40 minutes, turning a few times so they don't stick.

Kale chips - Seriously good. Break up a bunch of kale into bite size pieces and toss with a tsp of oil and a pinch of salt. Arrange in a single layer on a cookie sheet and bake at 400 for 10 minutes until crispy and toasty. I've heard you can do this with other greens, but I've only used kale.

Hummus with fresh veggies - You can buy hummus or make your own. The great thing about hummus is that you can make it have whatever flavor you're in the mood for. The basic recipe is just 2 cups of cooked chickpeas (either canned or homemade), juice of 1 lemon, 2 tbsp tahini (I've left this out if I don't have it), 4 tbsp olive oil. Blend and add whatever flavors you want. For a classic hummus, add a little salt, cumin, and black pepper.

Also try snacking on toasted nuts, chips and salsa (or guacamole!!!!!!), whole grain crackers,

Sweet Eats
Fruit with peanut butter yogurt dip - Mix 2 cups vanilla nonfat Greek yogurt with 1 cup peanut butter and a little pinch of cinnamon. Serve with sliced apples, bananas, strawberries, or spread over rice cakes.

Banana ice cream - New healthy obsession. See my previous post for this recipe. It also works with peaches and strawberries. I'm trying blueberries next.

Chocolate dipped bananas - Self explanatory. Yummmmmmm

Homemade trail mix - Combine your favorite dried fruit with nuts and maybe some chocolate chips if you're feeling indulgent.

Mix some chia seeds with a cup of almond milk and refrigerate overnight for a vegan kind of pudding.

Google "Chocolate Covered Katie" and make and of her recipes. Everything I've made so far is amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment