Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Green and Clean!

A few weeks ago, I shared my homemade bath products (http://naturallyhealthyplease.blogspot.com/2012/06/why-i-went-through-can-of-dry-shampoo.html) with you guys and I think it's time for a little update. 

With the homemade shampoo being a disastrous failure, I've stuck to baking soda as shampoo and vinegar as conditioner. Once every week or two, I use this really awesome shampoo, Jason's volumizing lavender. It smells sooooo good and there's no sodium lauryl sulfate. I'm obsessed with it. It's expensive, so that's why I only use it every once in awhile. I usually use it after I've slept with coconut oil in my hair. I need a little more heavy duty shampoo than just the baking soda, then my hair is soooo soft and smells really good. It's the little things, you know?? I stopped using the conditioner I made as a leave in conditioner because it went bad fast and it just took to much effort to keep making it. I find that I don't really need it anyway. I also got myself a natural bristle brush. It distributes the oils in your hair evenly so my hair has been super shiny and soft!


As for Dr. Bronner's soap, I don't know if I got a bad batch or what, but it left a kind of residue in my shower and my skin started to break out a little. I've read all kinds of reviews and talked to a bunch of people that use it and haven't heard any similar complaints. I think maybe I need to dilute it or something, or maybe I'll try the peppermint one. Everyone seems to use that one. Still, I couldn't use it anymore, but I found an awesome second choice. I've been using African black soap, and it cleared my skin right up! It's also great for cleaning. I would prefer to use something that's made a little closer to home (which is why I want Dr. Bronner's to work so bad!), but this is so amazing right now. 


For my face, I'm using just the honey, and maybe once a week, I'll add some baking soda to it. I'm still using all my other products, and I love them!! They last a long time and they are much, much cheaper than buying products. The toothpaste especially has been awesome! My pearly whites are much brighter!

As for cleaning my house, I've been making an effort to be greener. The number one product I use for cleaning is plain old baking soda. I just sprinkle a little bit over whatever surface I'm cleaning and scrub it with a wet rag. It does a pretty fantastic job. For windows and mirrors, a little diluted vinegar works wonders. It makes everything bright and shiny. You can replace that nasty, chemical, artificially blue Windex with this. I started using the African black soap to clean my shower, and it did an amazing job. Plus it smells really good!! I'll probably keep using baking soda to clean it every week, and just use the black soap every once in awhile so I don't waste it. At $1 for a box of baking soda, you can't really find a cheaper way to clean! Apparently, you can dilute Dr. Bronner's soap and use it for all kinds of household cleaning, so I'll be trying that! 

I'm much happier knowing that my house and my shower are greener and cleaner. There are no yucky chemicals going down my drain, and nothing that is going to put my health (or my pet's health!!) at danger in our cleaning supplies. I'm becoming more and more of a hippie everyday. ;)

I'm also making a vow not to buy anymore dangerous make-up or products that are tested on animals. I'm going to finish using what I do have, but some of my favorite brands are cruelty free and that's what I'll be using from now on (like Bare Minerals and Aveda). Here's a list of companies that don't test on animals! http://www.mediapeta.com/peta/PDF/companiesdonttest.pdf

That's all for now, but if you're reading and you have something you want to learn more about, let me know!! I would love to teach you all new, healthy things! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment