Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Baking on a Budget

Sorry it's been so long since a post! Life has been a little crazy, and I've definitely been slacking on my blogging/ updating my page, but I promise I'll be better!

So, I'm kind of broke right now (I know, tell me you're shocked). So I had to go grocery shopping for the week, and somehow, I bought enough groceries for five days with (get this) twenty dollars!!!! I was pretty impressed with myself. I had a lot of staples like rice, pasta, and beans on hand, so that helped. I got home from the store and assessed the situation. I ran through my ingredients in my pantry and figured out how to make enough meals for five days. I do have to eat oatmeal for a five days in a row (which is fine because I love oatmeal). I also made vegetable soup, tofu tuna salad, marinara sauce, spicy black bean spread for sandwiches, black beans, rice, stir fred veggies, chocolate crackle cookies, and banana ice cream.
That's seaweed and miso! (Don't tell my brother!!!)

Veggie sandwich with black bean spread

Tofu tuna!

Black bean spread

Those are a couple of the things I made. I'm pretty excited that I can eat for $4 a day this week!

So I'm going to share my recipe for the tofu tuna. I went to an awesome place last week (Pura Vida!) that made a really yummy vegan tuna melt, so I kind of wanted to recreate that. For the record, hers was much better, but mine was pretty tasty. 

Tofu Tuna Salad
1 8 oz. package extra firm tofu
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp seasoning salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 tbsp vegannaise
1 tsp dijon mustard
2 tsp relish
1/2 stalk celery, diced

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Slice the tofu into 1/2 inch thick pieces. Combine the oil, salt and pepper and pour over the tofu on a cookie sheet. Bake until the tofu gets really firm, about 20 minutes. Let the tofu cool and chop it up into smaller pieces. Combine with the remaining ingredients and serve!!

No comments:

Post a Comment