Friday, August 24, 2012

Banana Ice Cream and Strawberry Sauce

It's a quick and easy, but delicious, post today. There's a recent craze in the healthy blogging world. Banana ice cream. It's got one ingredient. Bananas. It's delicious and it's guilt free. It satisfies the sweet tooth for only about 100 calories. It takes a little planning but it's worth it. I like that it's all fruit, but it actually tastes like a decadent dessert.

 I had some overly ripe bananas that needed to be used so I broke 2 of them into large pieces and stuck them in the freezer. I also had some strawberries that I had to eat so I trimmed those up and stuck them in the freezer too. I left them overnight, and today, while watching Sex and the City (thanks Danielle for my fabulous birthday present!!), I got a craving for ice cream. I remembered the new hype and I broke out the food processor. I threw a banana in there and and turned that bad boy on. At first it looked a little weird, like peas when you're making dough, but after about four minutes, it turned into a creamy soft serve kind of consistency. I put it in the freezer for a little bit while I used up those strawberries, about two cups of them. I added them to a small pot with a quarter cup of water. I also added a tsp of lemon zest (My new microplane is the coolest kitchen gadget ever!! Thanks Mom!). I Heated the strawberries through until they softened up, just about 5 minutes. Then I blended the mixture until it was smooth and topped my ice cream with it. Yum!

Bomb. Dot. Com. 

Now, I think I'll have to come up with some vanilla cupcake recipes to use up the rest of that strawberry sauce. Or maybe chocolate. Or something fruity?? I don't know, but it's experiment time!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment