Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Sweet Potato Tacos

Hey everyone!! I had the most relaxing day today. Slept in, treated myself to a spa day and then went for a long run with my dog and looked at all the awesome houses around me (I swear we have the smallest house in a 2 mile radius). Then I came home and cooked. A lot. It was so fun. If you know me at all, you know my unhealthy obsession with anything (and anyone ;) ) Mexican, but a lot of Mexican food can be really bad for you, so I made a healthier, super Americanized Mexican meal. So here's what I made:

Sweet Potato Tacos with Refried Beans
For the potatoes:
2 sweet potatoes, skin on, diced
1 white potato, skin on, diced (If I have them on hand I'll also use blue and red potatoes because they're just so pretty)
2 tbsp oil
1/2 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cumin
salt to taste

For the beans:
1 can vegetarian refried beans
1 veggie burger (optional)
1/2 cup salsa
1/2 onion, chopped
1/4 cup water

1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cumin
salt to taste


Toppings:
Basically whatever you want! I would suggest lettuce, more salsa, guacamole (my mom makes the world's greatest guacamole, and I dare anyone to challenge her) and maybe some sour cream or cheese if you're into that. Or you could use some of the fabulous salsas my mom taught me how to make like a roasted corn and black bean, creamy and smokey jalepeno, or creamy cucumber. Then just fold everything into a tortilla or put it over some brown rice for a taco bowl.

For the potatoes, just mix everything together and throw it into a baking dish. Bake in a 400 degree oven for about 25 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. You could totally stop here and just eat those. I loooooooove sweet potatoes and this is probably my favorite way to eat them. So freaking good. For the beans, I made some with ground beef for my brother and I felt deprived just having mine plain so I took a frozen veggie burger and cooked it up in a pan (you could leave this out if you like or use any kind of meat), then I broke it up so it looked kind of like ground beef. Then I added the remaining ingredients and cooked them over low heat until they were warmed through. Then I ate them out of the pan until the potatoes were done. Oopsies!!

Seriously, Heaven in a tortilla
Don't mind my fork ;)
So pretty and sooooo yummy



While my potatoes were baking, I also threw another plain potato and 2 sweet potatoes in the oven to have baked potatoes later in the week. They freeze really well so when you're ready for one, just throw it in the oven to reheat. I usually make mine into a meal and top it with black beans, broccoli and salsa. A lot of people started to fear white potatoes when this whole low-carb bullshit became popular, but fear not!! White potatoes are full of potassium and fiber. They're only about 250 calories an loaded with vitamin C, vitamin B6 and manganese. Yes they're full of carbs, but carbs are good for you, and you need them!! And they're yummy. They become bad for you when you load them up with butter and sour cream and bacon and cheese. So preparation is key. Baked, boiled, or Mexican roasted are my favorite ways to eat them up.

Now please excuse me while I stand in front of the fridge with the door open and eat the rest of those potatoes. Haha Happy Wednesday everyone!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment