Sunday, April 22, 2012

Earth Day Recipe 2fer


Hello and Happy Earth Day!!! Sidney and I celebrated by taking a walk and having a picnic in the park. Aren't we cute?!


For my picnic, I brought the most delicious grilled veggies. It’s one of my favorite summertime sides. You can make it with pretty much any kind of veggie, but since I had some zucchini and carrots left from my curry, I used those. So simple and soooo yummy! :)




Grilled Veggies
2 carrots, sliced on the diagonal
1 zucchini, sliced on the diagonal
1 tbsp oil
2 tbsp fresh basil, julienned
2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
½ green onion, copped
salt and pepper to taste
¼ cup balsamic vinegar

Toss all the ingredients except the vinegar and arrange the veggies on a hot grill (or a grill pan like I used). Grill the zucchini for about 2 minutes on each side and the carrots for about 4 minutes per side until they’re a little soft and have those pretty little grill marks on them. Meanwhile, heat the vinegar over medium heat until it reduces and thickens up, about 5 minutes. When your veggies are done, remove them and drizzle with about 2 tbsp of your balsamic reduction. I like this dish served at room temperature, and it looks so pretty!! It’s really tasty on its own or served along with my Reno Chicken.

Probably the easiest dish ever and definitely a crowd pleaser. I came up with this recipe when I lived in Reno and was so beyond broke that the only things we had to eat were frozen chicken, mustard and an economy size jar of dried parsley. It came out so good that I classed it up a little and make it all the time (I also tried a dish with brown rice and frozen blueberries... Not quite so successful).  If you’re not into eating meat, you can also prepare tofu the same way and it is deeeeelicious.



Reno Chicken
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves or thighs
¼ cup honey or Dijon mustard
2 tbsp oil
3 tbsp fresh basil, julienned
2 cloves of fresh garlic
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all the ingredients except the chicken, then pour over the chicken, and arrange in a baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. I usually use chicken breasts, but if my budget is a little tight that week I'll use thighs. The nutritional value is about the same and they're wayyyy cheaper. Plus, they come out juicier. If you're using tofu, follow the same instructions but bake until it firms up a little bit, about 15 minutes as well. I’ve made this dish for so many events, and everyone loooooves it. I’m almost afraid to reveal my secret recipe, but I’m feeling generous today.



I hope you enjoyed my recipes, now go outside and play on this beautiful day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment