Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Sweet Potato and Lentil Stew

So I like to cook a whole bunch of food at once so later in the week when I'm so busy that I can't remember my name, at least I'll have something yummy to eat. So since I was already chopping sweet potatoes for my tacos, I chopped some more for a yummy sweet potato and lentil stew. This recipe is adapted from Alicia Silverstone's book The Kind Diet. Really good book and lots of good vegan recipes. I have no idea how mine differs than hers because I just stopped looking at the recipe and do my own thing. I do know that this sweet, spicy, delicious soup is the cure for pretty much everything. I went through  a phase when I made this every week and ate it almost everyday. For 6 months. I even eat it cold when I just can't wait to heat it up. It's that good.

Sweet Potato and Lentil Stew
2 sweet potatoes, diced
1 cup lentils
1 tbsp oil
1 quart vegetable broth
2 cups water
1/2 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 inch piece of fresh ginger, grated or minced
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon


Saute the onions, garlic, and ginger in the oil until they are soft. Add the spices and cook for 2 minutes longer. It will start smelling really good. Then add the broth and the water. Add the potatoes and the lentils and simmer for 20 minutes until the potatoes and lentils are soft and delicious. Then get a really big bowl and a really big spoon and prepare to be the happiest you've ever been.


No comments:

Post a Comment