Monday, October 1, 2012

Vegan Oatmeal Cookies!!

The best part of baking vegan treats is that you can lick the spoon (ok and the bowl) and not get sick from salmonella or other weird things. So today, on my favorite day of the week, while watching Lifetime movies (seriously, who comes up with these plot lines?!), I decided to make oatmeal cookies! They are super delicious and pretty healthy too. They are similar to the recipe in Alicia Silverstone's The Kind Diet, but I made a lot of alterations. Here's my recipe! :)

Oatmeal Cookies
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup rolled oats
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp each cinnamon and nutmeg
1/3 cup brown rice syrup
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup apple sauce
1/4 cup oil (I used half coconut oil and half Earth Balance, melted, but any oil will work)
1/4 cup chopped nuts, I used almonds
1/2 cup dried fruit, I used 1/4 cup each dried cherries and golden raisins

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients. Add the wet to the dry and combine thoroughly. The dough will be very wet. Stir in the fruit and nuts, and roll the dough into 1 inch balls (I just dropped mine in a little circle-like blob). Bake for 9-11 minutes. It makes about 28 delicious cookies!

Ta-Da!!! Heavenly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment