Thursday, September 20, 2012

Flirting With a Plant-Based Diet

If you're a regular reader (thank you!!!!!!), you know that I haven't always been a vegetarian. For those of you that are interested in this kind of diet, it can be a difficult transition, especially if you aren't used to preparing your own meals. But fear not!! I'm here to help :)

The easiest way to transition to a plant-based diet is to start small, and cut out one thing at a time. The first time I thought about trying a vegan diet, I jumped into it full on. It took a little adjusting and a lot of experimentation with some unfamiliar ingredients, but I had a lot of free time, so it wasn't too difficult. You can read my earlier posts to see why I fell off the wagon, but I had some life catastrophes and eventually got it together enough to focus on my health again. 

This time when I wanted to move towards a vegan diet, I started slow. I started by eliminating meat, then seafood, then eggs, then dairy, and eventually all the small products that you don't realize aren't vegan like gelatin, red food dye, etc. Right now I'm working on giving up dairy which isn't too hard except for cheese (I just love cheese!!) and hidden dairy in prepared foods. I'm accomplishing this by not allowing any animal products into my kitchen. If they aren't around me to eat, then I won't be able to eat them unless I'm out somewhere. But sometimes you really just crave these foods. There are some really awesome alternatives out there for those of you trying to transition to a veggie diet or just trying to cut back on animal products, or even those of you that just want to give Meatless Mondays a shot. Here are some of my favorite. Keep in mind that, while these are good substitutes, they aren't going to taste exactly like the real thing. You have to let them be their own ingredient and embrace the delicious flavors they bring to the table.

Meat Substitutes
Tofu- The most familiar kind of meat substitute is honestly not my favorite. I find it a little bland and a weird kind of texture. However, if you press out some of the moisture and marinate and bake it, it firms up a little and tastes better. I find it better as an ingredient in dishes, rather than the star of the show. 
Seitan strips- These are strips of wheat gluten, that when cooked (like in the stir-fry I made today) tastes similar to beef.
Tempeh- This is a fermented soy product that has a nutty, smokey flavor. Really good for barbecue substitutes. 
Eggplant, zucchini, and mushrooms- These veggies have a meatier texture and can really stand up to the pressure of being a main course. I slice eggplant and zucchini really thick and grill it like you would a steak, or sautee them for fajitas. Mushrooms are good grilled for burgers or sauteed as a substitute for beef. 
Beans- Full of protein, and endless in varieties, beans add bulk and substance to any dish. 
Veggie burgers, hot dogs, crumbles, and more- A few brands like Morning Star, Gardenburger, Boca, and Amy's make really good veggie burgers, hot dogs, vegetarian frozen meals and all kinds of stuff! I have a box or two of veggie burgers and a pack of Smart Dogs on hand for meal emergencies, but I really prefer to make my own if I have time (check out my previous posts for a really yummy sweet potato and black bean burger!!). 
Lentils, quinoa, and other grains- Lentils and grains can add bulk to soups, salads and really any dish. Plus they are full of protein!

Egg Substitutes
Tofu- Tofu has a really eggy consistency to me which makes it perfect for a breakfast scramble. It is also an awesome substitute in baked goods and desserts.
Ground flax seeds- Mix ground flax seeds with water to create an egg substitute in baked goods.

Dairy Substitutes
Soy, coconut, hemp, rice and nut milks- I personally use almond or coconut milk in my kitchen, but there are a ton of varieties available now. Try out a couple and pick your favorite! They also make these in to ice cream and coffee creamer. This is the easiest dairy item to substitute for me.
Vegan cheeses- My favorite brands are Veggie Slices and Daiya. There are a bunch of varieties and flavors available, even at the regular grocery store. They are usually soy or nut based.
Nutritional yeast- Nutritional yeast is kind of powdery and flaky and can be used to make cheesy, creamy sauces. 
Vegan butter- My favorite brand is Earth Balance. It tastes just like real butter to me.
Coconut oil- Earth Balance is pretty expensive so a lot of times, I will use coconut oil instead. It is solid at room temperature so it subs 1:1 in baked goods. 
Applesauce- Sounds weird, but it can substitute for butter when you're baking. I usually do half applesauce and half fat, like coconut oil or vegan butter to keep it moist. 

There are a lot of other easy swaps out there too, and don't be afraid to create your own dishes! I make a ton of meals that don't require substitutes because they are delicious and satisfying on their own. Experimenting and trying new ingredients is half the fun (and eating your experiments is the other half!). Once you try these fun new ingredients, you'll see how easy it is to eliminate animal foods from your meals. Let me know what you try and how you like it. I love getting your feedback. :)

2 comments: