Monday, July 23, 2012

What If Plants Have Feelings Too??

I just finished reading a really awesome book called The Gradual Vegetarian. It didn't really teach me anything new, but it did open my eyes to a few different styles of eating that minimize animal products. Every person is different in their wants and needs in a diet, so naturally, there are many different ways to customize a plant-based diet based on the individual desires. The most important thing I got out of this book is that you don't (and shouldn't) make drastic changes all at once. Small changes, a little at a time, will be easier to stick to and will leave you feeling less deprived. So today, I wanted to go over the different philosophies of vegetarian eating, and give you a little insight on mine. 

If you are a meat eater, that's totally cool. I was for most of my life. Everyone's interests are different and it's really no one's decision but your own as to what you choose to do with your body. Which brings me to my next point: I am getting sick and tired of people criticizing the way I choose to eat. First of all, what business is it of yours if I eat meat or not? I enjoy eating healthy food, and having a diet that limits animal products. Second of all, when I do indulge in something that's not completely healthy, I don't need to hear your crap about it. Most people eat like that all the time, so one exception from me is not that big of a deal. I will eat as I please. And to answer the nagging smart ass question that often comes at me, if plants did have feelings, then I am still hurting less feelings by eating less animal products. It takes much more plant material to produce a pound of meat than it does to produce a pound of plants. So suck it. 

I really do enjoy healthy food. I get so much satisfaction over making a delicious, healthy meal, and sharing it with others. I get really excited over making good food taste good, and feel like I'm doing good towards my body. When it comes  down to it, you really are what you eat, and I would like to fuel and nourish my body with good, healthy food. What I believe that is, may be different from what you believe. If everyone had the same opinion on what was a healthy diet, there would not be a billion dollar industry based on the latest diet fads and superfoods. There are a few different types of vegetarian philosophies I'm going to tell you about, but this is not an exhaustive list, and none of them are set in stone. You can feel free to combine different aspects of several of them to create a plan that is best for you. 

The first type of vegetarian is the most traditional, lacto-ovo-vegetarian. This type of person does not eat meat, but does include dairy and egg products. Some may also include seafood. This diet is easy to follow, and is very versatile. You can take most traditional dishes and change them up a little bit to create a meal that fits this plan. There are tons of options for you if you are eating out as well. 

The next type of diet is the vegan diet. This plan eliminates all animal products, including dairy, eggs, and less obvious items like red food dye (made from beetles, yuck), and honey. This takes a lot of getting used to and may prove difficult to follow, when dining out. But you can find substitutes for pretty much anything. There are some soy products that taste just like the real thing (tofu hot dogs are delicious). 

Another, less known, type of diet is a macrobiotic diet. Macrobiotics are not strictly vegans, or even vegetarians (a traditional macrobiotic diet includes fish), but it can accommodate a vegan or vegetarian diet. This type of diet focuses on the balance of yin and yang in your food. Yin foods are considered expansive foods, foods that grow quickly, grow in warm environments, foods that are stimulating (spicy food, alcohol, caffeine). Yang foods are those that are contractive foods, those that grow in cold climates, salt, meat. Whole grains, nuts, and seaweed are said to be very balanced foods. This diet focuses on whole grains, unprocessed foods, and combinations of food that are easily processed by your body. Major meals should consist of a dish from each of seven categories (one dish can represent more than one category): soup, grain, bean, cooked vegetables, salad, pickle, dessert. Meals are simply prepared, and a beverage is taken after your meal is complete. There is much, much more to this diet that I can't really explain in a few short sentences, but if it is something that interests you, do some research to better understand it. 

Food hygienists are another group of vegetarians (some do actually eat meat, but again, it accommodates a vegan or vegetarian diet). This is based on not only what foods you eat, but how you eat them. It is a diet based on food combinations. Foods all fall in to a specific category, and are eaten in a specific way. Fruit is only eaten with other fruit (and melon is not eaten with anything else), no protein is eaten with starch, no fat is eaten with protein or starch, and green vegetables can be eaten with anything. It is suggested that fruit be eaten for breakfast, vegetables plus a starch eaten for lunch, and vegetables and protein eaten for dinner. 

I combine a few aspects of all of these diets into my life. The way I choose to eat, is to basically follow a lacto-ovo-diet, with most of my meals striving to be vegan (there are a few slip-ups every once in awhile). I take cues from the macrobiotic viewpoint by avoiding processed food as much as possible. I don't specifically use food combining, but I do usually eat just fruit for breakfast. My ultimate goal is to follow a vegan diet that follows most of the macrobiotic principles. 

Following a specific diet this way is difficult and takes planning, but it doesn't have to be boring. I hope that I have shown you how healthy food can be delicious in my previous posts. Eating healthy is an investment in your future and in your well-being. I always feel much happier after I have eaten a light, healthy meal, than I do after I have gorged myself on something unhealthy. I just made a couple batches of some macrobiotic staples and I'm really excited. I'll let you all know how it turns out!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment