Sunday, July 1, 2012

Certified Fatass.

So I was at work today and my roommate texted me and told me he wanted to go to Lindo Michoacan (naturally). Hokayyyyy let's go!!! Every time we go, we eat so many chips and salsa and guacamole that we're not even hungry for our food. I was slightly more well behaved today, but still sooo full when I left. Also I got frozen yogurt after. Couldn't resist. I got back to the office and went back to work for about an hour. Then the girl at the cubicle next to me started eating Chinese food. I couldn't see it, but I could smell it, and my mouth started watering. I was still uncomfortably full, but I seriously thought about going across the street and ordering everything. I somehow restrained myself for another couple hours.

I got home and took a nap, woke up, and couldn't handle it anymore. If my craving wasn't satisfied asap, I was going to go rob Panda Express. Gross. I always talk about the shortcuts I take to make simple stir fries, but I've never actually shared a recipe. So here it is: how I stopped myself for stuffing my face with  fried, sugar-coated, greasy grossness.

Simple Stir Fry
1/2 cup cooked brown rice
1/4 cup frozen broccoli
1/4 cup sliced zucchini (or yellow squash like I used)
1/4 cup sliced bell peppers
1 sliced carrot
1 green onion
1 clove garlic
1/2 tsp fresh ginger
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp sesame seeds
1 tsp coconut oil
1 tsp grated frozen lemon* (see below)

Heat the coconut oil in a pan over high heat. Add the broccoli, zucchini, peppers and carrot, and cook for about 5 minutes until heated through. Add the pepper flakes, and grate in the garlic and ginger (I just used my box grater). Cook for an additional 2 minutes over medium heat. In a small bowl, mix the soy sauce, sugar, and sesame seeds. Pour mixture into the pan, and cook for 2 more minutes. Turn off the heat and add the chopped green onion (I grow my own!). Add the grated lemon, and serve over the rice and with my Ginger Iced Green Tea (previous post).
Nomnomnomnom

*I read a tip the other day that suggested keeping a whole unwaxed lemon in the freezer and grating it into all your food. You can grate the whole thing, the zest, the rind, and the actual fruit. It adds a burst of bright flavor to everything. I've been adding it to just about everything, and it makes everything better.

This is wayyyy healthier than whatever I was smelling over my cubicle wall, and it still satisfied my craving. I also made my Ginger Green Tea into a spritzer, mostly because I didn't have ice and I wanted it nowww. I poured it over frozen strawberries and added a splash of club soda. Yummy!

Now that I have thoroughly stuffed myself, I'm going to slip into a food coma and watch The Next Food Network Star in hopes that I'll be on there one day. Haha enjoy :)

1 comment: