Thursday, July 26, 2012

Well Now I Have Diabetes...

Today I was a busy little bee baking some yummy chocolatey treats. I started off making some vegan birthday chocolate cupcakes with chocolate frosting. While I was making them, my silly little Mexican roommate came down to "help." He kept telling me I needed to use "real" ingredients and throw an egg in there. Also, he wanted brownies. So I told him I would make him "real" brownies. I lied. We went to the grocery store, and he meandered through the aisles on one of those electric wheel chair carts with his broken foot (too funny!!!). I came home and started to bake some more. I tried to make them vegan and whole wheat but he caught me halfway through. They're still mostly vegan, and it would only take 1 substitution to make them completely vegan. So here it goes... my recipe for diabetes in a day.

Chocolate Cupcakes With Chocolate Frosting
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup vegan sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cups almond milk
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup coconut oil, warmed
1/2 bag vegan chocolate chips2 tsp vanilla extract


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 cupcake pans with 18 cupcake liners. In a small bowl, combine the almond milk and apple cider vinegar and let that sit while you get the other ingredients together. Sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and baking powder in a large bowl. Stir in the chocolate chips. Combine the oil, almond milk mixture, and vanilla. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir to combine. Pour a little less than 1/4 cup of the batter in each cupcake liner and bake for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let them cool completely.

For the frosting:
2 cans of coconut milk, left in the fridge for at least 2 hours (it will separate into butter and water)
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 bag chocolate chips

3 tbsp chocolate almond milk (you can use regular, but I had some chocolate leftover)

Using a double boiler (simmer some water in a pan and put the chocolate chips in a bowl over the top of the pot, careful to not let the water touch the bottom of the bowl), melt the chocolate chips and almond milk together until smooth. Take the chocolate off the heat and allow it to cool slightly. When the coconut milk has separated, add the butter portion to the melted chocolate. Add the powdered sugar, and using an immersion blender, blend ingredients until thick and creamy. Put the frosting into a zip-top bag, and cut a corner off the bag. You may need to put it in the fridge or freezer for a couple minutes if it starts to melt. Pipe some frosting onto each cupcake. 


This was seriously the best frosting ever. It's light and fluffy and just sweet enough. And there was some leftover!! (I may or may not have licked the spoon)




Diabetes Brownies
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
2 cups vegan sugar
1 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup water
1 cup vegan butter (I used Earth Balance)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 bag chocolate chips
3/4 cup chocolate syrup, divided (to make these vegan brownies, make your own chocolate syrup with some melted chocolate chips and enough almond milk to make it smooth)


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a 9x13x2 pan. Sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa, and baking powder in a large bowl. Stir in the chocolate chips. In a separate bowl, mix the butter, water, 1/4 cup of the syrup, and vanilla. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir to combine. Pour the batter into the pan and spread it out to all the corners. Pour the remaining syrup over the top and mix it slightly with a wooden spoon so you have ribbons of chocolate syrup (heaven). Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. 


Daniel topped his with some chocolate and vanilla ice cream (I tried to trick him into buying the low fat one, but he caught me) and more chocolate syrup. I practiced a little self-control (ok not that much because I went back for seconds), and topped mine with coconut milk ice cream. Delishhhh. He even agreed that they were amazing even though they were whole wheat and there were no eggs. He kept limping around the kitchen telling me he would throw an egg in the batter (he's going to be pissed when he sees that it was vegan butter muahahaha).

I feel like I am going to vomit from all the sugar I just ate, but it was worth it. Yummy!!

1 comment: