Monday, June 25, 2012

Build A Better Pantry

This post was going to be about the really awesome vegan cookies I made, but they weren't really awesome. They were terrible. Horrible disastrous dry little balls of gross. But anyway, I've been wanting to do a post like this for awhile. I know that a lot of people want to be healthy but don't really know where to start or products to stock to cook healthy meals. So here's a little help. :)

Once you build a pantry of basics, it doesn't cost a lot of money to add fresh ingredients and replenish your supplies each week. I'm also including stuff I always keep in my freezer and fridge, so it's super easy to just throw together a meal.

Sauces and Condiments
Grapeseed oil
Olive oil
Coconut oil (personal fave, currently have 3 jars in various locations around the house)
Vinegar (all kinds, balsamic, red wine, rice wine, apple cider)
Soy sauce

I use grapeseed or coconut oil for sauteeing or cooking at high temperatures. Grapeseed has a more neutral flavor, coconut adds a little tropical flavor. I use olive for uncooked dishes. Vinegar adds a ton of flavor for very little calories and brightens up sauces and dressings.

Grains
Brown rice 
Quinoa
Whole wheat pasta
Lentils
Beans (pinto, black, kidney, garbanzo, any kind!)
Old fashioned oats
Popcorn (not the microwave kind)
Whole wheat crackers and/or brown rice cakes
Whole wheat bread
Whole wheat tortillas

Quinoa is sooooo good. If you haven't tried it yet, go buy some. Now. It's actually a seed, but I use it like a grain so I put it in this section. It has a lot of protein and a little crunch and is delicious with some dried fruit and nuts like a pilaf. Lentils sort of remind me of beans, they're high in protein and good in soups and make a really good lentil loaf, like meatloaf. 

Baking Products
Whole wheat flour (I also have brown rice flour, whole white wheat and whole wheat pastry flour, but you don't really need all that unless you like to experiment a lot like me)
Baking soda, baking powder
Raw, unbleached sugar
Dark chocolate chips (duh)
Pure vanilla extract

I'm not a baker, but I've been trying to come up with some things to make. Plus, these ingredients are useful for other things besides baking.

Random Other Stuff
Vegetable Stock
Almond milk (I keep a couple extra cartons on hand all the time)
Light coconut milk
Extra firm tofu (I use it for a lot of stuff, not for just eating it by itself, like the frosting for the cake in my last post, so don't be afraid!!)
Canned tuna (unless you're not into that)
Jarred tomatoes (don't get them in the can!!!!!! A lot of canned products, but mostly tomatoes, contain BHT which is a yucky chemical that you don't want in your food)
Potatoes and sweet potatoes
Onions and garlic
Peanut butter (or other nut butters, make sure the only ingredients are nuts and salt)
Dried fruit (I like cherries, golden raisins, and apricots)
Nuts (Like almonds, pecans, walnuts, pistachios, whatever you like)
Spices (the ones I use a lot are salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, cumin, oregano, basil, parsley, cinnamon and curry powder)
Tea (I always have green tea and peppermint tea on hand)

These are super versatile ingredients that I use allllll the time. 

In My Freezer
Frozen veggies (always on hand: broccoli, green beans, bell peppers, asparagus)
Frozen fruit (great for smoothies!! blueberries, strawberries, mangoes, peaches)
Veggie burgers (for a quick meal when I'm in a rush)
Pre-marinated chicken (for the brother, see my previous post!)

In The Fridge
Mustard (dijon and honey mustard, for sandwiches, and sauces)
Pickles and relish (I love pickles and they're a quick salty snack for only 5 calories!!)
Salsa
Ketchup and barbecue sauce
Teriyaki sauce (sometimes I make my own, but sometimes I'm lazy)
Fresh ginger

There are also a couple fresh veggies and fruit that will always be in my house: Carrots, celery, cucumber, lettuce, zucchini, apples, grapefruits, bananas

I supplement these ingredients with what's on sale and what's in season to have everything for healthy, easy quick dishes!

Happy health everyone :)




1 comment: