Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies!

So I'm sitting here after my workout, watching Chopped and procrastinating my studying, and I get a sudden craving for something chocolate. Buttttt I don't have any chocolate. Or anything sweet for that matter. So I opened my pantry and saw some peanut butter. It looked back at me and said; "Put me in some brownies, PLEASE!" And that's why I just had to do it. It's what the peanut butter wanted. I normally don't like peanut butter in my desserts, but you can't argue with the food.

Here's my recipe :)

Vegan Peanut Butter Brownies
1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup oat flour (oatmeal put in the blender until it creates a really fine powder)
2/3 cup cocoa powder (I used Hershey's special dark and OMG!)
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup peanut butter, divided
1 cup coconut oil, warmed
6 dates, pitted and soaked in 1 cup hot water
1 tsp baking powder

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and lightly oil an 8 inch square baking dish. Sift together the flour, oat flour, cocoa powder, sugar and baking powder. Blend the dates with the water until it is smooth. Combine this with the oil and stir into the flour mixture. Stir in half the peanut butter. The batter will be really, really thick. Don't worry, you didn't mess it up! Gently stir in the rest of the peanut butter but don't combine it so you still have ribbons of peanut butter going through the chocolately goodness. Bake for 40-45 minutes until they are cooked through and delicious. If you're feeling extra sinful (and let's be real, when it comes to dessert, a little extra sin is always ok), top with some vegan coconut whipped cream.

I would post a picture, but the one I ate didn't look very pretty. But let me assure you, they tasted amazingggggg!! Sometimes you just have to let the food speak to you, so thanks for this awesome recipe, peanut butter!!

1 comment: