Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Better Than Takeout


I made a delicious dinner tonight. One of the most delicious things I've made in awhile. It wasn't a super complicated meal, but it's worth sharing. This was my take on orange chicken, but since I don't eat chicken, I used tofu. If you do eat chicken, you can totally use that the same way. Or any kind of meat for that matter.

I never used to like tofu. I thought it was mushy and flavorless and gross. Now that I've learned how to cook it, I love it! This application was especially delicious because not only was it crispy and crunchy on the outside, it soaked up the mouthwatering sauce and was loaded with flavor. So without further ado, the recipe:

Orange Glazed Tofu and Veggies
1 block extra firm tofu, cut into triangles
3 tbsp coconut oil
1/4 cup orange marmalade
3 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp rice wine vinegar
3 tbsp sriracha
2 cups broccoli
2 carrots, sliced
2 stalks celery, sliced
1/4 large onion, diced
2 green onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp minced ginger
1 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tbsp chopped lemonbalm (I used this from my garden so if you don't have any, you can use mint or Thai basil)
brown rice for serving

Heat the oil in a large pan over high heat. Place the tofu in the oil and cook for 5 minutes. Flip the tofu to the other side and cook for another 4-5 minutes. Remove the tofu when it's golden brown and crispy and set it aside. Lower the heat to medium and add all the veggies, except the green onion and the lemonbalm. In a bowl, mix the marmalade, soy sauce, vinegar, sriracha, and red pepper flakes. When the veggies are just cooked through, after about 5 minutes, pour the sauce into the pan. Add the tofu back in, and stir to make sure everything is coated. Stir in the green onions and lemon balm then turn off the heat. Serve over brown rice.
Drooling. Really.

Aside from cooking the rice, the rest of the meal cooks up faster than you could order Chinese and go pick it up. Plus, I'm willing to bet my version is much healthier. And, you don't have to put pants on to leave the house (definitely made this in my pajamas)! The only downside to this is that there aren't more leftovers.

1 comment: