Saturday, May 19, 2012

Homemade Spa Day... Ahhh

Today I treated myself a much needed spa day. It felt so amazing. 8+ hours in 5 inch heels 5 days a week for the past year have made me want to chop off my feet just so I won't have to feel their pain anymore. Who cares if I can't walk if I don't have to feel like this right??

A trip to a spa is the most glorious experience ever created. I would go every single day if I could. Alas, I am not a billionaire, and I have to settle for once every few months. So I decided to create my own spa experience at home. I wanted to use things I already had at home and that were natural and not full of chemicals.

I started out with a peppermint foot soak. I bought a little foot spa a couple months ago that's pretty awesome. It was only $30 and definitely worth it considering how much I stand in heels. I added 1 cup of epsom salts and 2 peppermint tea bags to some hot water and put on my Jason Mraz/ John Mayer play list and sat back and relaxed. Epsom salts are really awesome for soaking away tired achiness and pains. My feet felt instantly better. I used 2 extra peppermint tea bags and ran them under some cold water and put those over my eyes too. 

I also made a face mask to brighten up my tired face. I blended 3 large strawberries with 2 tbsp of baking soda, and let that sit on my skin for about 15 minutes. It smells so yummy!! The antioxidants and vitamin C from the strawberries help brighten up your skin, the seeds and the baking soda exfoliate away dead skin cells, and the baking soda helps clear up any problem areas. My skin felt so soft and smooth after. It makes a really big batch so I used the rest as a scrub in the shower. 

While soaking and masking, I also did the easiest hair treatment ever. I just put about 2 tbsp of coconut oil in my hair and wrapped it in a hot towel. I sleep with that in my hair about once a week and it makes it so soft and shiny. You just wash it out in the morning and style as usual. I basically think coconut oil is the cure for everything. I keep a jar in my shower and use it to take off my make-up, instead of shaving cream, and on my hair and skin. In fact, after soaking my sore little toes, I pumiced them up and slathered on some coconut oil and slipped on some socks. 

During my little mini spa day, I sipped on a delicious chai latte that I made. A grande chai latte from Starbucks has 240 calories with soy milk or 210 with nonfat milk. My version only has 20 and it's soooo good. And it's a lot cheaper than the $4 you'd spend at Starbucks. 

Just boil 1 cup of water and add a chai tea bag. Simmer for about 3 minutes and add 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk. Simmer for another 2 minutes and sweeten with 2 packets of stevia. Yummm...

Sadly, spa day had to end so I can get ready for work, so I rinsed off all the various food items in my hair and skin and finished with a mist of my homemade ginger body oil. I bought a similar version a few months ago, and I loved how it smelled, but it was really expensive and I like mine better. All I did was heat about 3/4 cup grapeseed oil over medium heat and added about 2 inches of fresh ginger, sliced into smaller pieces for 30 minutes. I strained it and added it to a little spray bottle and I just spray it on my skin when I get out of the shower. I don't have to use lotion at all and it smells really good. 

So now I have to wake up from my paradise mini spa vacay and go to work. Definitely more relaxed and refreshed. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment