Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Fast Food

It's no secret that most of us are so busy it makes our heads spin. Sometimes healthy eating can take a back seat behind work and school and family and friends and whatever else we have to do. That's what today's post is for. With a little planning and very little time, you can make lots of healthy meals fast.

I'm not really a huge fan of convenience foods like frozen meals and packaged products, but I do like to make my own so I can have good food fast that you can control the ingredients and flavors of a lot better.

First off, it's important to plan ahead so you're never left with no healthy options. Every two weeks or so when I go grocery shopping, I spend a few hours and make a ton of food that I can freeze for those nights when all you can do is heat something up. I like to make giant pots of marinara sauce and soup and then freeze them in smaller containers.

Here are some of my greatest go-to super fast meals:
Sweet potato and black bean burgers. This recipe is posted under my Fourth of July post. I make a giant batch that makes about 12 burgers. They freeze really well and then you can just pop them in the oven and eat them anytime!

Veggie loaded marinara. I throw in mushrooms and zucchini and spinach and whatever else is in my fridge and always have a container in the fridge. This way, all I need for dinner is to boil some whole wheat pasta and eat!

Also with your marinara you can make lasagna and freeze that right in the baking dish and bake when you're ready. You can do this with mac and cheese or baked ziti or any kind of baked pasta dish.

Vegetable soup. Usually I make this to use up any veggies that I have and maybe add some barley or rice or pasta in too. It's a great way to use up whatever you have on hand and sneak veggies in for picky eaters. Plus you can freeze and defrost a little at a time whenever you need a quick meal.

Sweet potato lentil soup. I've posted this recipe before and it's sooooo good. The ultimate comfort food for me. Plus it uses ingredients I always have on hand. Again, it's something that freezes well.

Veggie stir fry. I make this like four or five times a week. It's so easy to just throw some frozen and chopped veggies into a pan and put that over some brown rice or udon noodles. This literally takes less than 10 minutes from freezer to table. And it's versatile enough to cater to your tastes and what you have.

Wraps and sandwiches. My new favorite go to is avocado, spinach, tomatoes and cucumbers on a whole wheat tortilla with balsamic vinegarette.

Burritos! Who doesn't love burritos?! Just throw some precooked beans, rice and whatever else in a tortilla with some salsa and boom. Dinner.

Baked potatoes, either sweet potatoes or white. Fill with beans and veggies, and top with salsa. These also freeze well after you've baked them.

Poached egg sandwich. I've been eating eggs lately, which is weird for me, but I can't get enough of my newest creation. Some wilted spinach, tomatoes and sliced avocado on an English muffin with a poached egg. Not my usual vegan fare, but so yummy! Kind of like eggs benedict, but healthier and easier. And it takes like 2 minutes to make!

Look at that breakfast!

So there you have it! Some very easy healthy meals. No excuses not to eat healthy!


1 comment:

  1. This is a great post! Such awesome reminders about how we can freeze our healthy meals so that when we are in a bind, we don't wind up buying food from a restaurant on the way home. Thanks girl!

    ReplyDelete